You may be using your significant other’s plastic comb?
Yes, an ordinary plastic comb will do ok, but it won’t perform as well as a beard specific comb. Using a beard comb properly, regularly, can stimulate the follicles, in turn helping facial hair growth.
There are certain aspects you will want to consider; 1. The material. 2. The teeth shape. 3. The space between the teeth. 4. The size.
1. The Material Many combs that can be bought off the shelf for much cheapness are exactly that, cheap. Made from plastic, from a mould that will probably have ragged edges that will catch your facial hair. This will potentially damage your beard.
We prefer natural products, like wood. Sandalwood being one of the favourites for a beard comb. Sandalwood is our preferred material, it’s smooth, natural, it has very unique patterns, it also smells amazing and absorbs a little amount of beard oil. This helps the beard comb glide through the beard and it takes on some of the scent from the oil, what’s not to like?
2. The Teeth Shape There are a few shapes of teeth available, this is where you need to be careful. Some have square edges, if these are not finished properly, the edges can tear your facial hair and cut or weaken it. Our comb has cylinder like teeth with rounded edges, designed to glide with through your beard with no snagging.
Beard combs distribute beard oil/beard balm evenly and leave it feeling soft and fuller looking. We chose to give our beard comb long teeth to ensure full coverage, control and distribution.
3. The Space Between The Teeth Believe it or not, the space between the teeth is critical. Too wide and you won’t distribute the hair evenly. Too narrow and you will tug the facial hair, because facial hair is thicker and curlier than head hair, an ordinary comb is not recommended, this is why you need a beard comb with ample spacing.
4. Size Does size matter? In this case, yes. You want to have a beard comb that is able to fit in your pocket. For that reason, we kept it small! If you are like us and live in Scotland, we are exposed to the elements and wind everyday. Carrying a beard comb is just part of our routine now, going for a spin on the bike or walking to work, your beard will probably be a mess when you arrive. Luckily you have that pocket sized beard comb.
It also comes in a nice wee protective pouch too!
How To Enjoy The Best Beard Comb
1. After washing your beard in the shower/bath (we recommend Braw Beard Wash), gently towel-dry your beard. 2. Apply some of your favourite beard oil and beard butter to your facial hair. 3. Gently start to comb your facial hair with the grain (from root to tip). Start gently so you don’t pull on any tangled hair too hard. 4. Continue to comb until your beard is smooth and snag-free. It should be an enjoyable process.
Using a beard comb with also exfoliate the skin underneath the beard, which will remove dead skin cells and clear blocked pores which could be potentially hampering hair growth. The long wooden teeth can encourage hair growth by gently massaging the skin, which will increase blood flow to the hair follicles. Do you have kinks in your beard? Using a beard comb as part of your daily routine will help to train and straighten your beard, making it appear longer.
At Braw Beard we recommend choosing wisely when it comes to making the best beard comb. As mentioned, there are many options to choose from.
We spent a long time getting one that we felt confident about. It had to be natural, a comfortable shape, the perfect teeth spacing and size that would be easy to carry around.
We are proud to have achieved that and enjoy using it in our daily routine.
If you would like to try it for yourself, it is available right HERE